Have you ever faced embarrassment when someone looks at your heels and comments “Ewww”?
Do you often try to hide your feet from others to see when in public?
If your answer to the above questions is yes, then don’t worry you’re not alone. Almost every person have dry skin or cracked heel problems which tends to get worse in winter. There are many people especially women who wish to carry on with that good looking dress with matching sandals. But they couldn’t do that because of their cracked heels. They often try to hide their feet with socks or longer feet covering dresses or sarees. Such long sarees or dresses often make it difficult to walk or you may also lose balance and injure yourself. So if you have cracked heels don’t try to hide it instead try to understand the causes of cracked heels and heal them.
The main reason behind cracked heels is the result of ignorance towards foot care, lack of moisture and over exposure of feet to dry weather and dust. Continuous pressure on the soles make the feet expand sideways resulting skin to crack.
Common reasons for having cracked heels are:
- Cold or dry weather in winter
- Dehydration of skin or Dry Skin
- Lack of moisture in feet
- Soaking feet in hot water for longer time
- Hot bath
- Excessive usage of harsh soap
- Scrubbing feet till the skin gets chipped or dry
Home remedies to tend cracked rough heels:
- Massage your heels with sesame oil before you hit the bed. Sesame oil is apparently the best remedy for cracked heels.
- Massage your heels with warm coconut oil. Rinse it in the morning to get soft heels.
- Mix glycerin with few drops of rosewater and apply the mix on the heels daily. This will soothes cracked heels and reduces the pain in heels.
- Take 1/4th bucket of warm water and squeeze one lemon in it. Soak your feet for 10 minutes and wash it with pumice stone. You can use raw salt instead to get natural pedicure for your feet and this will exfoliate dead skin too. If your cracked heels tend to bleed, avoid putting lemon in water or scrubbing feet with pumice stone.
- Prepare a mixture of lemon juice and papaya; apply on the cracked heels. Let it be there for 20 minutes at least and wash off.
- Apply fresh aloe vera on your cracked heels to make them softer naturally. You can also prepare a mixture of aloe vera gel, ½ tsp. of turmeric, ½ tsp. of Tulsi paste and pinch of camphor; apply daily on your cracked heels before sleeping. Rinse in morning.
- Take a ripe banana, mash it and apply on the affected areas. Let the mixture be there for 15 minutes at least and wash off.
- One can also create foot scrub at home. Mix sugar with any oil (coconut oil, sesame oil or oil of your choice) and scrub your feet in regular motion. It will not only cure your cracked heels but also remove dead skin from your feet.
- Last but the most important tip; drink lots and lots of water to keep your skin hydrated.
Other Tips to Keep Your Heels for Longer Time:
- Wear shoes of exact size. Thin sole shoes expose your feet to dust resulting into cracked feet.
- Scrub and Exfoliate your feet regularly.
- Moisturize your feet regularly especially heels.
- Wash your feet when you come home from outside
- Use good creams for your feet.